Many complex tests help diagnose neurological problems and develop treatments. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed axial tomography (CAT scan) are often used to look inside the brain and spinal cord. These are often ordered and later reviewed in our office to determine treatment options. Electrical activity is studied with an electroencephalogram (EEG) of the brain or an electromyography (EMG) of the muscles. These tests are performed in our office by the doctor or by trained experienced staff. Please see patient instructions below:
Electromyogram/ Nerve Conduction Study (EMG)
1. Please wear, or bring to change into, appropriate clothing. Short, loose sleeves for arms; loose fitting, shorts, skirt, dress, etc. for legs.
2. Please do not wear any topical products on your extremities such as lotions, ointments, salves, etc…
3. Your extremities should be warm to the touch for an optimal test. If your extremities are cold, we will need additional time to warm them with warm water or a heating pad. If your extremities are cold, you should arrive 20-30 minutes before your appointment and notify the receptionist. You may try to avoid this by wearing gloves, heavy socks etc.
PLEASE NOTIFY THE RECEPTIONIST WHEN MAKING YOUR APPOINTMENT IF YOU HAVE A CARDIAC PACEMAKER AND/ OR DEFIBRILLATOR, A SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR, OR ARE TAKING BLOOD THINNING MEDICATIONS SUCH AS COUMADIN, WARFARIN, HEPRIN, PLAVIX, LOVENOX, ASPIRIN, ETC.
1. Your hair should be clean and dry, without products such as hairspray, styling gel, mousse, medicated salves, etc.
2. Your hair should be down and unencumbered. If your hair is up, as in a ponytail, we will ask you to take it down during the test.
3. If you have braids, extensions, or other applications that cannot be removed, please be aware that we use a cap during the test and products that are recommended to shampoo out following the test that may damage your application and/or style.
4. Your should not wear any topical products on your face, neck, or chest, as we use electrodes that attach with adhesive.
5. Please wear light colored clothing.
6. Following the test, your hair will contain excess conductive gel and it is recommended you shampoo this out as soon as possible.
THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR STUDIES ORDERED AS “SLEEP DEPRIVED” ONLY
1. You will need to feel tired/ sleepy for this test. You will need to decide the best way for you to achieve this as sleep habits vary.
a. You may need to stay awake for 12-16 hours prior to test
b. You may need to sleep only 2-3 hours thru the night prior and wake early (about 1:00- 2:00a.m.)
c. Do not consume anything containing a stimulant, i.e. caffeine (coffee, tea, etc.), energy drinks, sweets, or medications that cause increased energy.
The Accountable Care Act
Notice Informing Individuals About Nondiscrimination and Accessibility Requirements
Richard Alexan MD Inc. complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
Richard Alexan MD Inc. does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
Richard Alexan MD Inc.:
Provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as:
○ Qualified sign language interpreters
○ Written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats)
Provides free language services to people whose primary language is not English, such as:
○ Qualified interpreters
○ Information written in other languages
If you need these services, inform the office staff